The examination will last approximately 3 hours and will proceed as follows:
- We will ask you a few questions to collect medical information and we will assess your blood sugar level.
- You will probably have to drink orange-flavoured barium (liquid contrast medium for the digestive system).
- You will be given through intravenous injection a glucose-based radioactive isotope: FDG-F18. This substance does not have any side effect. The exposure to rays during a PET/CT examination is comparable to the one created by a diagnostic CT scan.
- You will then relax on a lounge chair for approximately one hour.
- The PET/CT imaging will begin and last for less than an hour.
- You will only have a minimal amount of radioactivity in your body by the time you leave our facility. You will be able to resume your usual activities.
- Three Hours